Weekends are always our family’s favorite part of the week. They are a time where we get to spend time together, relax, and have fun.
Let’s face it- life is expensive, having kids is expensive, everything is expensive these days- and our family is growing so we are trying to save money wherever we can. We try to fill our weekends with free or low cost activities that the whole family can enjoy.
Here is a list of some of our family’s favorite weekend activities.
1. Cooking breakfast – Abby and I enjoy making muffins together. She likes to “help” me stir the batter. Blueberry are our favorite.
2. Playing outside – We love to play outside. Unfortunately, the current degree Kansas summer weather doesn’t always allow us to do this. Abby loves to blow bubbles, draw with sidewalk chalk, look for bunnies in the yard, kick a ball around, or go to the park. This last weekend we gave her a play house for her birthday, so I know we will spend plenty of time in the backyard.
3. Library time – Saturday mornings are great for a trip to the library. Our local library has a wonderful children’s floor that lends books, music, movies, video games, and more.
4. Swimming pool – The local Aquatic Center charges $3.00 for adult admission and Abby is able to get in for free, so we can pay $6.00 for an afternoon of fun splashing around in the water on a hot day. There is a great children’s pool with a small frog-shaped slide and a fountain that sprays water down that she loves. We have lots of fun sitting in a double innnertube floating down the “lazy river” together.
5. Reading books – Abby is a bookworm and we spend a lot of time reading books out loud.
6. Art – We spend lots of time with coloring books, stickers, painting, and drawing. I love to watch her artistic skills develop.
7. Napping – Who doesn’t like to take a nap? Abby takes one each day and I like to get one when I can too. Sometimes we have an afternoon “snuggle nap” – I take advantage of cuddling my little one when I can, she won’t be little or want to snuggle with Mom forever.
8. Shopping/Window shopping – While shopping isn’t a free or often a low-cost activity, we often go shopping to get groceries as a family on the weekends. We also like to go window shopping and walk around the mall or Hobby Lobby for awhile.
9. Watching a movie – We often watch movies together. I try to pick something new each time, if given a choice, Abby would watch Moana, Trolls, Zootopia, or a few other movies over and over again.
10. Chores – This isn’t the most enjoyable item on my list, but we often do chores together. I think it is important for kids to learn and help out. Usually we pick up toys together or she “helps” me fold laundry.
What does your family do on weekends? How do you spend time together?